5 BIG Ideas for Reading Success
- Phonics: teaching how to connect the sounds of spoken English with letters or groups of letters.
- Phonemic Awareness: listeners are able to hear, identify and manipulate phonemes, the smallest units of sound.
- Vocabulary: is the set of words students are familiar with in a language
- Comprehension: the understanding of a passage of text
- Fluency: smoothness or flow with which sounds, syllables, words and phrases are joined together
|What do I do when I come to a word I don't know?
|Coach your child...
- Does this word make sense?
- Chunk the word. Example: the word is content, I see "tent" in the word.
- Sound it out.
- Look at the picture. Is there a clue?
- Skip the word and read to the end of the sentence. Can you figure it out then?
- Reread the sentence before it and see if you can figure it out.
- Cover up the front part of the word or the last part. Can you see a part you know?